- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb. sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t. kosher salt
- ¼ t. red pepper flakes
- 3 C. water
- 1 (12 oz.) bag of ziti
- ½ C. heavy cream
- 2 C. mozzarella, shredded
- ½ C. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- You need a large 12 in. skillet with a cover, which is oven proof, to make this a one pan meal.
- Set the skillet over medium heat and add the sausage that has been broken into small pieces, about ½ inch thick.
- Add the salt and red pepper flakes and cook until sausage is brown, about 5 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage up and stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and reduce to medium-low heat, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the water and pasta then cover the pan and turn up the heat to medium-high. (adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a vigorous simmer)
- Cook, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan, for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Add the heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and 1 C. of the mozzarella.
- Stir to incorporate, and then top with the remaining 1 C. mozzarella.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow the dish to set for 5 minutes, and then serve.
Tips and Tricks:
- I started this recipe in a skillet that I thought was big enough for this recipe, but when I added the water, I realized there was NO room for the ziti. I had to transfer to a pot (not a skillet) then I realized the pot wasn't oven proof, so I had to transfer to a Corning ware. Save yourself the time and cleanup and make sure you start with something large enough to hold about 8 cups AND something that can be put in the oven.