- 3 large gold acorn squash
- 3 T. olive oil
- ½ C. (1 stick) butter, softened (6 T. for squash and 2 T. for sautéing the onions)
- 3 shallots, whole, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 1 T. kosher salt (6 – ½ t.)
- 1 T. pepper (6 – ½ t.)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 4 C. chicken stock
- 1 t. kosher salt
- 1 t. sage
- 1 t. thyme
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- ¼ t. white pepper
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 C. heavy cream
- ½ C. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil, and then cut the squash in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and place them in a bowl filled with water, if you want to roast the seeds, if you don’t then just pitch them out.
- Place the squash halves on the baking sheet with 1 T. of butter in each squash half (coat all the squash flesh well).
- Place 2 garlic cloves in 3 of the halves, and 1 shallot in the other 3 halves.
- Cover the garlic and shallots with 1 t. of olive oil and ½ t. of salt and ½ t. of pepper, in each half.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the squash is caramelized and soft.
- Allow the squash to cool and then scoop the flesh out of the squash halves, including the garlic and shallots, and place in a bowl. Discard the skin.
- Melt the additional 2 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, and then add the onions and sauté until clear, about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, shallots, garlic, and chicken stock and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat and then add the salt, cayenne, white pepper, sage, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over low heat for 15 minutes and then puree with an immersion blender.
- Finally, add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and then stir well and serve hot with Roasted Squash Speeds or croutons.
Tips and Tricks:
- Roasted Squash Seeds make a great snack. They are crunchy and flavorful and rich in vitamins and minerals like vitamins A & C, folate (which is nature’s version of folic acid), potassium, calcium and iron. Follow my recipe which can be made while the squash is roasting in the oven.
I ordered squash to be delivered this week! Yummy!!!ReplyDelete