This is a quick fix supper. I made this one up. It's good, try it out for yourself.
- 5 hot Italian sausages, casing removed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings
- 1 (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ½ C. water
- ½ T. sugar
- 1 t. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- Provolone cheese, sliced thick
- 5 hoagie rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions over medium heat for 5 minutes or until they start to wilt.
- Cut the sausages in half and remove the casing.
- Add the sausages to the skillet, moving the onions to the side so each sausage can touch the bottom of the skillet. Arrange the onions on top of the sausage and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the paste, water, sugar, and Creole seasoning.
- Pour over the sausage and onions and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, toast the hoagie rolls for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve each sausage on a hoagie roll with the sauce and onions. Cover with a slice of provolone cheese over the top and then add the lettuce.
Tips and Tricks:
- I use Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage. I have also used Zia Hot Italian Sausage.