- 1 gallon of water
- 2 C. apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb. dark brown sugar
- 2 C. of kosher salt
- 2 qts. (8 C.) vegetable stock
- 8 lb. bag of ice
- Boil the gallon of water and vinegar in a large pot
- Add the salt and sugar and stir until the salt dissolves
- Add the vegetable stock and stir
- Cover and allow the brine to come to room temperature
- Place 1/2 of the bag of ice in the brine
- Place the turkey in a ice chest and pour the brine over the turkey
- Cover with the remaining ice
- Allow the bird to sit in the covered ice chest for 12 hours
Tips and Tricks:
- The turkey should have ice in the brine the whole time. Add additional ice if necessary.
- Rinse the turkey well before preparing to cook it. All the salt from the brine needs to be washed away. Allow cool water to pass through the cavity of the bird and use your hands to rub down the outside of the bird while the water is running over it.
- I cut this recipe in half when I cook just a turkey breast.