- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut so that only the florets remain (4 C.)
- 2 T. butter
- ½ C. chopped onion
- ¼ C. chopped celery
- 1 C. mayonnaise
- ½ C. sour cream
- 1 can of cream of celery soup
- ½ lb. of Velveeta, cut into small cubes
- 1 t. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. black pepper
- 2 C. cooked rice
- 2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 C. cooked, cubed chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil water in a large pot and add the broccoli florets to the boiling water for 5 minutes
- Strain the broccoli, allow to cool, then chop
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, sauté the onions and celery in the butter
- Add the next 7 ingredients and heat until the Velveeta is melted
- Add the rice, 1 C. of Cheddar, and chicken
- Stir well, then transfer to a casserole dish with a lid, that has been sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake for 20 minutes, covered, then remove from the oven add 1 C. of Cheddar and bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Serve hot!
Tips and Tricks:
- I use light sour cream.
- I buy a rotisserie chicken and cut the breast meat into small cubes. The breast creates about 2 C. of cubed chicken.
- The chicken is not a necessary ingredient to this recipe. It makes a great one dish meal, but you can skip it and just have a Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole.
- Sam’s sells a 3 lb. bag of broccoli florets in the produce section. This recipe calls for 4 C.