- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut so that only the florets remain (4 C.)
- ½ lb. bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- ½ C. golden raisins
- 1 C. sunflower seed kernels
- ½ lb. of Colby Jack cheese, cut into very small squares
- ½ C. red onion, chopped very fine
- ½ C. mayonnaise
- ½ C. sour cream
- ¼ C. sugar
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- Put ice cubes and water in large bowl to create an ice bath
- Boil water in a large pot and add the broccoli florets to the boiling water for 2 minutes
- Quickly remove the broccoli and plunge into the ice bath
- Drain the broccoli and dry with a towel
- Cut the broccoli into small bite size pieces and place in a large bowl with a cover
- Add the next 5 ingredients to the bowl and stir well
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream, sugar, and vinegar
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours
- Serve cold
Tips and Tricks:
- I use light sour cream.
- I cook the bacon in the microwave on a plate lined with 4 paper towels. Cook for about 4 minutes to create crispy pieces of bacon that you can crumble.
- If you want the bacon to remain crisp, wait to add the bacon when serving the salad. I like the bacon flavor to incorporate into the salad, so I add it before I let it “marry” in the fridge.
- Sam’s sells a 3 lb. bag of broccoli florets in the produce section. I use 1/3 of the bag for this recipe.