- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. Arborio rice
- 8 C. chicken stock
- 1 C. Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese (or a mixture of all three)
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 2 T. chives, chopped
- 1 t. kosher salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- Add the chicken stock to a medium size pot and place over medium heat until the stock comes to a boil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat the rice thoroughly. Adding 1 C. at a time, add the 8 C. of chicken stock, stirring frequently.
- As soon as it appears that the rice has absorbed each helping of broth, add in the next helping. This process will take at least 20 minutes. Rice is done when it no longer has a hard bite.
- When the rice is done, add in the heavy cream, cheese, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Heat through and serve hot.
Tips and Tricks:
- This is a slow process. Don’t try to rush it. Allow each cup of chicken stock to fully absorb before adding the next cup to the skillet.
- This is the base for risotto, but be creative and add what you like to mix: sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, asparagus, etc.
Post a Comment