This is a traditional southern casserole: cream of mushroom soup, cheese, butter, mayonnaise, etc. This is a Paula Dean recipe that I tweaked.
- 1 (32oz.) bag of broccoli florets, frozen
- ¼ C. (½ stick) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ C. mayonnaise
- ½ C. sour cream
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 2 eggs, beatened
- 1 C. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 t. Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 t. garlic powder
- ½ t. black pepper
- 1 sleeve of Club or Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil water in a large pot and add the broccoli florets to the boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Strain the broccoli, allow to cool, and then chop. Reserve.
- In a small sauté pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions in 2 T. butter until soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients, except the crackers and the remaining 2 T. butter, and mix well.
- Spoon the ingredients into a 13”x 9”x 2” baking dish and cover with the cracker crumbs.
- Melt the remaining 2 T. butter and pour over the crackers.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the crackers are browned and the casserole is bubbly.
Tips and Tricks:
- I don’t like chopped broccoli, but if you do, you could use chopped broccoli for this recipe. I use fresh broccoli sometimes and I use about 1 lb. of broccoli florets, which is about 4 C.
- I use Cream of Celery soup instead of Cream of Mushroom for this recipe.