Homemade Caramel Popcorn! Is your mouth watering, yet? It should be. This is so good, it is worth the effort. Your family will love you for making this.
- ¼ C. canola or peanut oil
- 1/3 C. popcorn
- ½ C. (1 stick) butter
- 1 C. light brown sugar
- ¼ C. light Karo syrup
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and cover two baking sheets with aluminum foil and then spray with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil and 3 popcorn kernels, in a heavy bottomed pot (2 – 3 quart), over medium-high heat, until the kernels begin to sizzle.
- Add the rest of popcorn and cover the pot, listen carefully until the popping slows down, when 2 seconds go by without another kernel popping, cut the heat.
- Remove the cover and pour the popcorn into a large bowl. Reserve.
- Rinse out the pot and use the same pot to make the caramel.
- Melt the stick of butter, over medium-low heat, when the butter is melted and stops foaming, add the brown sugar and the Karo.
- Stir constantly until it comes to a boil and then allow to boil for 4 minutes (not stirring).
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix well and then pour over the popcorn, toss well to coat all pieces.
- Pour into the baking sheets and bake for 1 hour, tossing every 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then break into bite size pieces and serve.
Tips and Tricks:
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
- You can use microwave popcorn, but don’t use the butter flavored. Use the homestyle or plain. You’ll probably need 1 and ½ bags.