- 4 C. of crushed tomatoes
- 4 C. of tomato juice
- 14 fresh basil leaves, cut into small strips
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 t. kosher salt
- ½ t. cayenne pepper
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 C. heavy cream
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onions over medium heat in olive oil until translucent, about 10 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, basil, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook for 30 minutes
- Add the butter and cream and stir well
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese
Tips and Tricks:
- I use canned tomatoes for this recipe, but fresh tomatoes can be used. Peel the tomatoes first before crushing them.
- When chopping the basil, stack the basil leaves one on top of another and then roll the leaves into a tube. Slice into thin ribbons.
- This soup is great with a grilled cheese sandwich. I make a Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich. Follow my link to see how I make mine.
Post a Comment