- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 ½ C. onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ C. zucchini (2 medium), finely chopped
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 ½ C. enchilada sauce
- 2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 C. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 13” x 9” pan with cooking spray
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground meat , then drain and crumble, reserve
- Add the onions and zucchini to the skillet with oil and cook for 3 minutes on medium-low heat
- Turn off the heat and add meat back to the skillet with 1 C. of enchilada sauce. 1 C. cheddar cheese, and 1 C. pepper jack cheese
- Stir well and add ½ C. of enchilada sauce to the baking pan
- Assemble enchiladas by placing 1/3 C. of meat/cheese mixture down the center of each corn tortilla
- Wrap each tightly and place seam side down in the pan, cram all of the enchiladas into the pan
- Pour the remaining 1 C. of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and cover with the remaining cheddar and pepper jack cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Cut into 8 squares and serve with sour cream
Tips and Tricks:
- I call this Enchilada Casserole because MY enchiladas never stay round in the pan. They ALWAYS bust open! It all tastes the same, but they are NOT nice round enchiladas!
- The zucchini is such a great ingredient in this dish. Even if you don’t care for zucchini, I encourage you to try it. It makes a wonderful filling for the enchiladas.
- Follow my link to make your own homemade enchilada sauce! It's so much better than the can.