This is a recipe that I got from my friend Jeannien's mom, JoAnn. It is the perfect hors-d'oeuvres. Try it for your next get together and watch them disappear.
- 1 can of pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 t. sea salt
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 baguette
- 1 C. of freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the bread and cheese, and mix well
- Cut the baguette into ½ inch slices and toast in oven until slightly brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Set oven to broil setting
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and line with baguette slices
- Spoon the ingredients over the baguette slices and top with a sprinkle of cheese
- Broil the bruschetta until cheese melts and slightly browns
- Remove from oven and serve hot!
Tips and Tricks:
- If your baguette gets too hard, quickly run the bread under running water. The bread will soften slightly.
- When cutting the Roma tomatoes, squeeze each slightly and run your finger along the vein to remove the seeds. If there are hard white pieces in the tomato, cut those out as well.
- I make the mixture ahead of time and refrigerate until I am ready to assemble and serve.