This is a take on a Caprese salad. It is a one bite hors d’oeuvres that is great for a summer BBQ appetizer or even nice for a cocktail party. They are easy to make (just time consuming) and this recipe makes about 50 “bites”.
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes
- 20 basil leaves, torn into small bite size pieces
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- ¼ C. of balsamic vinaigrette
- ½ T. Sea salt
- Make the balsamic vinaigrette and marinate the cheese cubes in the vinaigrette for several hours, if possible.
- Cut each grape tomato in half.
- Using toothpicks, place a tomato, a cube of mozzarella, then a piece of basil.
- Sprinkle sea salt over all and drizzle with the leftover vinaigrette.
Tips and Tricks:
- DO NOT refrigerate the grape tomatoes. They taste best at room temperature.
- I can’t leave anything alone, so I changed this recipe. I made this with mini pepperonis for added flavor (everyone liked it).
- I made my own balsamic vinaigrette, but you can use bottled vinaigrette when you are crunched for time.